With the 2018 Hall of Fame Class announced, it’s time to look forward to the biggest name of 2019: Mariano Rivera.
How great was Mariano Rivera? Here are some facts:
- As a relief pitcher, Mariano Rivera had six top-10 Cy Young finishes, and five top-5 Cy Young seasons.
- Rivera’s career ERA+ (ERA adjusted to league and ballparks) is 205 – a Major League Record (100 would be average – so Rivera was more than twice as good as the average pitcher).
- Rivera finished an astounding 952 games and picked up 652 saves – both MLB records.
- Rivera, in his first full season as a reliever, pitched 107 innings in relief with a 2.09 ERA. Astounding.
- Mariano Rivera had 17 seasons with an ERA of 2.85 or lower (16 if you throw out his injury-shortened 2012 season, in which he appeared in just 8.1 innings).
- In the postseason, Rivera was even better. In 141 career postseason innings, he was 8-1 with 42 saves and a ridiculous 0.70 ERA.
Can you say first-ballot, unanimous Hall of Famer?